NEW YORK STATE TECHNOLOGY AND ENGINEERING EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION
THIS WE BELIEVE
We believe that Technology Education is:
- A critical discipline in the delivery of technological literacy, which encourages the use of
appropriate technology, develops the ability to solve problems, and creates lifelong learners with
21st century skills.
- A systems-based approach utilizing mathematics, science, and technology principles to extend
- Essential to STEM education through collaboration with physical and life sciences, engineering
principles, and mathematics to ensure that emerging science and technologies are integral to P-
- A body of knowledge delivered by highly qualified teachers who can work collaboratively with
other disciplines in education as well as with business and industry.
- A course of study that excites students at all levels to learn about the human-made world and
their roles in that world.
- An essential part of general education for ALL students appropriate for P-16 levels, exhibiting
authentic inquiry into general technological information for all learning abilities, stressing both
career and post-secondary education options to diverse populations, providing relevance and
rigor to learning, and enabling interconnectedness of thought thus closing the achievement gap.
- A disciplined intellectual experience that stresses the comprehension of technology and its
associated impacts on and demands for a technologically literate society.
- Concrete experiences supporting abstract ideas and concepts to increase not only technological
knowledge but also skills and attitudes, creative thinking, and character development.
- Recognition of technological development as a driving force that will ensure:
- The United States' leadership in technology development
- United States citizens will live in a world civilization that understands, assesses, and manages
technological systems and devices, and
- The United States can participate, compete, and contribute to the global economy.
NYSTEEA "This We Believe" Statement